Monday, July 20, 2015

Yard Work and Summer Good Feels

At Glenwood Gables, our yard owns us.

A few months ago, I attacked two of the three enormous bushes (fondly known as Monster and Devil).
They grew back.

We poured poison on them, chocked their roots full of epsom salt before a rain storm, hacked at them.

They grew. In fact, our efforts seemed to fuel them.

Monster grew back with a vengence and took over a huge section of the back corner.

And then there's Demon.
Trunk to tip thorns, and it was growing by the day, gaining speed and covering an entire kitchen window as well as part of the gate to the fence.

I don't think they would have bothered me so much, but from my spot at the kitchen table, they were all that I could see.

I needed them dead.
I needed backup.

Enter: The Julius.
We put our bets on him, and we were proven correct with our choice.


Down went Demon.

The garden was a whole other situation, and Makayla (and some me as well, but I mostly handled the irises and a strange buried stack of bricks that was preventing mowing) tackled it with perseverance weeding, cutting down the outer levels of grass, and mulching.

We're all very busy and usually stressed (the life of an introvert doesn't take much to overwhelm) but finally our house is starting to look less like a fairy tale villain lair and more like a cozy cottage, complete with gnome.

Then, with our two-day yard work extravaganza done, we went to the pool, put together some delicious homemade pizza, played games, and napped.

Happiness is: friendship and achieving goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment