Monday, March 28, 2016

The Keys to Searching

Notoriously, I lose my keys. 

Having a spacial memory, I can distinctly remember the circumstances around which I lost the keys, but the parameters can fit any number of places, which makes finding them incredibly difficult. 

Yesterday, my fiance and I went to my grandmother's to pick up a few things with my mom. 
Right before we left, I misplaced the keys, sending us on a 45 minute hunt. 

It was incredibly frustrating, especially because there was an extremely limited number of places where they could have gone to. 

The four of us searched and searched and, at a certain point, as I was hunting through a basket of blankets there was no chance of my keys being in, I found myself thinking, "I have to find them. I'm hunting so thoroughly." 

Immediately upon thinking that, though, I had a counter thought: "It doesn't matter how thoroughly or diligently you search; if you're looking in the wrong place, you'll still never find it." 

This gave me a lot of pause, as I considered in how many areas of our lives, not just in mine, we find ourselves "searching for _____ in all the wrong places." 

It takes a lot of practice and self-control and patience to begin your search in the right place. 

I found my keys. 

Facing my car, I gave an exasperated sigh and through up my hands, which shifted my perspective. 
There, draped very clearly just above the back door, were my keys. 

All four of us had missed them. Rather than looking up, we focused our energy in dark places we'd already looked, tearing apart the car and house over and over again, even though we knew knew knew they weren't there. 

But, since we didn't have any ideas, we kept looking in the familiar places. 

Sometimes, it takes giving up to find what you're looking for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment