Saturday, February 1, 2014

3-2-1 let go. Let’s go!

The trip over went a million times more smoothly than in September. 

On the first plane, I made buddies with the flight attendant and we chatted for nearly an hour about the crazy snow in Atlanta (sorry for that 14 hour drive home Joey, but it has really helped fodder social interactions for me this past week) and working in the service industry. 

Then, in the Dulles airport, I continued on my terminally happy journey of making airport friends. 

Airport and coffeeshop friends are the best to make because you only have to generate small talk for an hour or less. It's the perfect practice, though Kira's book of 4,000 questions did make it home with me just in case. 

Trucked-on through my very long layover (and flight delay) with content developing, bubble blowing, puzzle doing, and even a wee nap. 

My favorite part on the plane back was that I was mistaken for Irish twice. Unconsciously, I seem to have adopted a slight lilt to my speech, especially when I'm talking to someone with a strong one.

On that note, I must have passed the test for looking local, too, because the tour vendors near city hall left me well alone today for the first time. HaHA. 

It's good to be back in Belfast. 

Yes, it is nearly three and already dark and yes, it is unapologetically rainy and yes, my room smells like bad memories. 

But there was sun this morning a bit, I've got on warm socks and waterproof shoes (though the hair I forgot to pin into submission before hitting the wind), and there's always Febreeze to alter the stench of past anxieties. 

My circumstances last semester suffocated me into such venomous, claustrophobic state that I had come to believe I hated Belfast, but coming back into it now, how could I ever have believed that? Sure, I could stay bitter with Belfast, but that wouldn't get me anywhere positive and I am definitely here for another four plus months, so I am prepped to be pleased. 

You know, with how little I actually did venture out of my home last semester, Belfast and I really do have the opportunity to start over almost completely with one another.

There's a happy bustle in the wet streets, rich history and culture, and "genuoinley" lovely people.

No comments:

Post a Comment