Monday, September 30, 2013

Totally Wilde

Finally, finally, FINALLY I get to write about my classes. Why on Earth did I wait so long? Because class here doesn't start until it's almost freakin' October! Okay, sorry. High school drama queen moment over.

Started the day off right with the "family meeting" (I assigned room checks for this week) and a staff meeting (the little cooks slept through it). Next, I scampered off with my screen shot google map to find Tomb Street. Yes, I informed everyone on my way out where I was headed because, well, I guess I don't have a good reason, I was just a little freaked out with the idea of looking for a warehouse on Tomb Street. 

On the walk there (a walk on which I did not get lost but did ask several very unhelpful people for directions. SO glad that for once I listened to my inner traffic director and not the general public), I ran into this lovely clock. 
Don't worry. Found Royal Mail and picked up my package without being kidnapped or mugged. Then to class! Yes of course I got lost. Just so you know, my 2 o clock was actually my 4 o clock and vice versa. The poetry master's program participants were very kind though...

Once I found the correct room--the office up five flights of stairs, even though it's technically the third floor of the third building, the one you can't actually get to from the third building--I started in on my first class of my master's program with Dr. Eamonn Hughes (resident fire warden, by the way. He has a neon slicker to prove it): Irish Writing from 1920-1960. We're calling it the middle child syndrome era of Irish literature because it's a bit forgotten. It's not so far away in history that it's interesting and it's not so close to now that it's modern. 

Through a series of questions, it became evident to my professor that I hadn't a spark of an idea about...anything. I'd read the introductory chapters he'd assigned, but I don't have a literature or a history degree, and I'm not Irish. Thus, class number one was spent on Irish history lessons from the 1900s on. Did you know that Ireland could be considered both a colony and also not a colony? It can. 

The view, one stair flight down from Dr. Hughes' office: 


Somebody get me a singing chimney sweep. 

My next class--down 5 flights of stairs, over three hallways, up one flight of stairs, around a bend, down a flight of stairs, take a left--is Wilde to Heaney. The first few sessions are taught by Dr. Sinead Sturgeon. She's the loveliest little creature. 

Today, she waltzed into class with a tray of wee, wee goblets, announced that we were to celebrate at 5 properly, but first, my presentation. I hadn't done any outside reading (note: do for next time) but I had read and taken notes extensively and felt really confident about my topic. I discussed Wilde in relation to social justice, religion vs. God, nature vs. nurture, tied them all together, and weaved them through a myriad of his short stories. It was actually really fun. 

17:10: actual event: Sinead: "What sets Wilde aside in this sphere is that his structure--Oh goodness, the sherry! It's time!!" Then out of her bag, she pulls out a bottle of sherry and serves us. We spent the next hour drinking sherry and debating Oscar Wilde. 

Four plus hours in class. You'd think I'd be ready to scream. I loved it. I think this is going to be really fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment