Sunday, March 9, 2014

Vim: Flipping Christians

Do I believe in the possibility of instantaneous change?

Do I believe in change at all?

Sure, it's possible for me to change, and sure it can happen for people in the Bible, but now? In others? It just isn't rational or sensical to think so.

We make people serve some sort of trial period before we are willing to believe that what they claim as change is true, has really taken hold, not just a phase or passing fancy.

In treating them and speaking to them as the "old self," though, are we not perpetuating old thoughts and behaviors from no-longer-applicable identities and, in so doing, pouring acid rain on the seeds of their new life?

And all this, in the name of wisdom and the "test of time."

What would happen if we acted out in faith and chose to join with them in speaking character revolution into existence and allowing ourselves to foster the steps (both backwards and forwards) of its growth? What would happen if we delighted with them?

Saul, though he tortured countless Christians and lived his ugly life just stuffed full with sin, turned completely around and faced up to it when God dropped the scales from his eyes.

That was his moment.
And it stuck.

3 years ago February, a heartbroken, skinny, mind-tortured anorexic girl looked in the mirror in the English Department hallway bathroom at John Brown University and finally saw a sliver of what Jesus saw in her.

Seven years of eating disorder exoskeleton fell to the floor and she walked out free.

That was my moment.
And it stuck.

When Jesus sparkles through that crack in the door for the first time, everything changes, and it is not one single person's place to doubt the credibility of that experience.

Even if "time tells" that your change isn't for always, it doesn't alter the possibility that it could have been.

I ran into a very sweet older lady from my church community group this morning who saw me at my very worst--the end of last semester: broken, shaking, vampire pale, sleepless, and thin.

Today, she greeted me by taking hold of my arms and shaking my whole body: "You've come back to use alive! Alive! Full of vim!"

It was very Irish.

It's true. I have come back to life. I doubted and struggled all last semester and most days I was back in The States, to the very week of my departure back here, but every day of February I seemed to resurrect more and more, if progressive resurrection is possible.

When she said that, though, even if it hadn't been the case, I think I would have believed her and been given the stamina to keep on fighting for my life and seeking joy.

Oh lovers of pathos, can you not hear God's heart for his people?
Oh lovers of logos, can you not hear the empirical evidence?

The Lord seeks to ransom his people in full.
It has happened and will happen again!

Positive personality flips are part of our Christian history and our Christian present.

Why then can we not widen our minds enough to see Jesus shake up our brothers and sisters in Christ?

Why cannot we call out and CHOOSE to have faith in that glimpse of vim, of electric Jesus energy in their eyes and voices?

We serve a seemingly nonsensical Father.
One for whom I choose to expect nothing and risk everything in order to trust in his unreasonable works simply because he loves us and delights in twist, shocker endings.

The God who moves mountains deals also in hearts.
Close-mindedness is safe; faith is infinite.

No comments:

Post a Comment