Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Ultimate Penultimate

'Twas the day before the day before I leave and all through the house, there were traces that I'd worn makeup and a blouse.

Megs came to fetch me in her tea-time ensemble, and we met up with the girls on the Lisburn Road. 

For my departure, high tea was called for, and we sat in a dainty room with dainty plates and cups and sandwiches and sweets and felt very proper. Pinkies up indeed. 

Except for the fact that our conversation was all over the place from discussion on times we'd accidentally had soured milk (Lauren claimed it made her tea taste of strawberries) to manroasting to medical stories. Every once in a while we'd chuckle about how everyone else in the room was probably talking about tea-appropriate topics, such as the weather. Or doilies. 

We ended our time together with failed selfies (memories must be documented) and a prayer. Until that last bit there, I'd held it together but, like every single member of my family, one word into talking to the Lord, and I crumpled. We hugged, I gave them letters, and we parted. But not forever. 

The girls that started it all when they adopted me in October. 
Fancy tea. The pot with the flowers in it says, "Belfast Tease", which I think is darling. 


Snuggles and disgust at airplanes and America

Megs. :) And my practically iridescent skin that so does not know what it's in for soon 

Walking into the sunset together. Bye bye besties.

No time for tears, though! 

When Megan dropped me back off at the house, I changed shoes and went right back into  the city with Steve and Hot Greg (nickname since Freshman year of uni. It ain't changed). 

We got dinner at Lee Gardens and could not have had more fun with the ambiance. It was still bright outside, but they lit a candle on our table. From the ceiling were downward twisting light fixtures made of glass daisies. Along the railing (there was an upstairs, too) were blue icicle lights which lit up in sections bottom to top instead of top to bottom. 

And, to top it off, playing from the speakers was a playlist including "Heart of Worship""My Heart Will Go On", and "Trouble"

We made silly faces and talked ridiculously and seriously and just had a really good time. Both of those guys have been my friends since the very beginning of JBU and both just graduated and are moving to Florida. So it was nice having a chance to get some facetime with them before we all go off in separate directions. 

The day quieted down then. We got home and played Spoons as well as Resistance, then Nadia and I retired to "our" room to watch a few episodes of The Office while I messaged a friend from home. 

Over, right?

Not quite. 

Around midnight thirty, I got a text from Lauren asking if I was awake. 
A few minutes after, she showed up in my driveway, having been on her way home from the cinema with her mum and wanting one last snuggle. 

As quickly as I could, I unbolted all 9 bolts and burst into the moonlight where she jumped into my arms. 
It was definitely a movie moment and a little tearful, I'll admit. 

Don't know when I'll see these folks again--any of them--but I do know it's not forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment