Friday, June 14, 2013

10/6/10-titles


Education has disintegrated to a constant game of cat-and-mouse. By this, I mean to say that teachers lay "traps" for students to "figure out" and through this process of continual chasing, students pass through the education process unscathed and sneaky. That is a very roundabout way of saying that learning has become less of a process of continual discovery to an ignorant following of the statements of others, and then regurgitating the right answers back to them. In the case of Jack and Jill, Jack was the ideal student; he answered correctly, participated in class, and stayed in school. Jill, on the other hand, ditched the whole entity. However, Jill became consumed by the studies from her flunked course. The book she started in class revolutionized her way of thinking, and consequently, her life. Jack, though, following the class, flushed all the "knowledge" gained down the drain. His learning was quantity, her learning is quality. The difference between the two is key. In my personal education, I define quality as gleaning as much knowledge as possible from any particular subject and putting all the energy that I can muster into mastering that topic. Overall, the different parts of my education create a quality whole because they address all facets of learning: not only am I learning how to absorb information, but I am learning how to listen, discuss, communicate, and process information. My answers may not always be right, but they are mine. That is the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment