Friday, June 14, 2013

6/29/12-Living Out of Forgiveness

I have felt very convicted about something this summer. And it’s a thing that I was very convicted about during the school year as well, but in a different sense. Then, I was merely convicted to seek out the forgiveness and to forgive those who had wronged me/I had wronged. Now, I am convicted about the way I have lived my life afterward .
You see, when you forgive someone, the responsibility then becomes yours. You no longer have a reason to be angry or resentful. Because you have forgiven them. 
Because of that, the way that you speak about and behave toward that person should be markedly different. 
Mine has not been.
Even though I am no longer angry, I continue to speak in a vile manner with anyone who brings up the subject. Why? Because I am being sanctified; I am no saint. Although I strive toward righteousness, it is very easy to engage  in sick human pleasures such as gossip. Sometimes because it is the only way that certain groups of people can find to relate to one another: through trashing a common enemy. 
To quote Relient K: “I’m part of the problem, I confess. But I gotta get this off my chest. Let’s extinguish the anguish for which we’re to blame, and save the world from going down in flames.” 
Christians, such as myself, ought to be characterized by our love. Not by this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment