Friday, June 14, 2013

4/29/11-Slavery.

Galations 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
This was the verse of my personal devotion this morning. At one point, I was under the strong influence of some very self-destructive patterns. And while in that position, I compared my predicament to being in slavery. Thus, the wording of this verse struck a very particular chord in my heart. The yoke of slavery. In fact, slavery is a prevalent theme in the Bible. In 1 Corinthians 9:19 it says
Though I am free and a slave to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone that I might win as many as possible to the Kingdom of God.
Slavery.
What does slavery even mean? I plan on looking it up in my concordance/Greek lexicon later, so I may edit this, but for now a dictionary will work
Slavery: Bondage: ndicates a state of subjugation or captivity ofteninvolving burdensome and degrading labor
Burdensome and degrading. I am so thankful that our God has redeemed us out of lives that are burdensome and degrading. Why then, after being ransomed by the blinding love and freedom of Christ, do we return to the yoke of captive, burdensome, degrading lives? Obviously this doesn’t make sense. We don’t have to go through an underground railroad to obtain freedom, nor do we have to run. We have been bought out of our misery and degredation. So my question of the day to myself is..”What am I currently allowing to be made a slave of?”

No comments:

Post a Comment